GroupWise Migrator for Exchange requires the installation and configuration of multiple components on various machines. The admin's migration workstation in particular will host an unusual combination of tools, developed by different vendors, and the combination can cause compatibility problems on some machines. Be sure to see the more detailed System Requirements in the GME Pre-Migration Planning Guide or Quick-Start Guide for tips to get multiple applications from different vendors to cooperate when installed together on an admin workstation.
This list specifies the basic minimum hardware and software requirements for GroupWise Migrator for Exchange:
On the GroupWise (source) server:
Must be running a Novell GroupWise version in the range 6.0–7.0.4, or 8.0.0–8.0.3, or GroupWise 2012. Note:
- An admin workstation can run on a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 operating system if (and only if) the GroupWise 2012 client is installed there.
- An admin workstation running on Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 with a GroupWise 2012 client can migrate from a pre-2012 GroupWise source if the GroupWise server version supports a connection with the GroupWise 2012 client.
- Quest’s CMG supports GroupWise versions 7.0.2–7.0.4 and 8.0.0–8.0.3, and GroupWise 2012, but not versions 6.0–7.0.1. If you want to use CMG for coexistence, the source GroupWise server must be version 7.0.2–7.0.4 or 8.0.0–8.0.3, or GroupWise 2012.
On the Exchange (target) server:
Supported Target Environments:
To a Proprietary Exchange Network
To a Hosted Exchange Network
On the Active Directory server:
Required accounts as described in the GME Quick-Start Guide and Pre-Migration Planning Guide.
On each GME admin workstation (running GME admin components):
Migration to ...
Win Vista* Enterprise
Edition x86 (only)
Win Server 2003
Win Server 2003
R2 x86 (only)
Exchange 2010 or 2013:
Supported for any
listed here, but
only if migrating
from a GroupWise
(MS Office 365,
Important: GME requires the English-language edition OS/PowerShell on the admin workstation.
* Windows Vista Caution: Heap corruption may occur (rarely) when GME apps are run on Windows Vista. If this becomes a problem in your environment, downgrade the operating system to Windows XP or Win Server 2003.
- Workstation must be a separate machine from the Exchange server, but a member of the same domain as AD and Exchange, and meeting these minimum hardware requirements:
- 1+ GHz processor.
- 1GB memory.
- 20GB free disk space.
- Recommendations for improved performance, especially for high-volume migrations:
- 3+ GHz processor.
- 2GB memory.
- 1 Gbps NIC.
- 1 Gbps or faster network connections among all migration workstations and the Exchange and GroupWise servers.
- The Novell NetWare Administrator program (NWAdmin or ConsoleOne) must be installed.
- The Novell client for NetWare (client version 4.7 or higher, 4.91 SP2 recommended) must be installed.
- The GroupWise client (version 6.0–7.0.4 or 8.0.0–8.0.3 or GroupWise 2012) must be installed.
Important: An admin workstation can run on a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 operating system if (and only if) the GroupWise 2012 client is installed there.
- Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010 or 2013 must be installed. The Admin Account Pooling Utility requires Outlook 2010 or 2007 (not Outlook 2013 or 2003).
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 must be installed.
- Required for migration to Exchange 2010 or 2013, or MS Office 365 or Live@Edu: Windows PowerShell 2.0 (a component of Windows Management Framework, available at this writing at this Microsoft link).
- Required for migration to Exchange 2007: Exchange 2007 RTM, SP1 or SP2 Management Tools (32-bit edition, US English only), which in turn requires: Microsoft Management Console (MMC), and Windows PowerShell. The 32-bit edition of Exchange 2007 Management Tools is available (at this writing) at this Microsoft link, and see also Microsoft's installation instructions.
On user desktops (if running the SSDM):
- Must be running Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, or Windows Vista*, or Windows 7 (but Win 7 only if migrating from GroupWise 2012).
- Must be running Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010 or 2013.
- Must be running a GroupWise client version 6.0–7.0.4 or 8.0.0–8.0.3, or GroupWise 2012 client.
* Windows Vista Caution: Heap corruption may occur (rarely) when GME's SSDM is run on Windows Vista. If this becomes a problem in your environment, downgrade the operating system to Windows XP or Win Server 2003.
Must have network access.
Required Accounts & Permissions:
|Important: In addition to the hardware and software requirements specified here, GME requires the configuration of admin accounts for access to directory and user data in both GroupWise and Exchange. For these additional configuration requirements, be sure to see the more detailed System Requirements in the GME Pre-Migration Planning Guide or Quick-Start Guide.|